LGCmain
Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology
Home About us Instructions Submission Subscribe Advertise Contact e-Alerts Ahead Of Print Login 
Users Online: 370
Print this page  Email this page Bookmark this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 64  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 651-654

Acute rheumatic fever – A pathological analysis of clinically missed cases


1 Intern, Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
2 Department of Pathology (Cardiovascular and Thoracic Division), Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
3 Consultant Cardiologist, Mahatma Gandhi Mission Hospitals, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Pradeep Vaideeswar
Department of Pathology (Cardiovascular and Thoracic Division), Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai, Maharashtra
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/IJPM.IJPM_1422_20

Rights and Permissions

Background: Acute rheumatic fever (ARF) and its post-inflammatory sequel chronic rheumatic heart disease (RHD) are endemic in the Indian setting. Despite the updated Jones criteria, many cases of ARF remain undiagnosed or are missed. Aims: This study aims to analyze pathological profiles of such cases and their importance in context of clinical presentation and Jones criteria. Materials and Methods: A 22-year retrospective observational study of ARF was conducted in the Department of Pathology in a tertiary care institute. The cases were categorized as 1. Those fulfilling and 2. those partially or not fulfilling the Jones Criteria. Based on the autopsy findings, the lesions were classified as categorized mitral stenosis and/or regurgitation (MS ± MR) and pure mitral regurgitation (MR). Statistical Analysis: Nil. Results: In 22 years, among 697 cases of autopsied cases of RHD, there were 59 cases (8.5%) of ARF. Among them, seven cases fulfilled the Jones criteria; five of them were clinically diagnosed. The remaining 52 cases (88.1%, 34 with MS ± MR and 18 with MR) did not fulfill or partially fulfilled the Jones criteria and were not diagnosed. A total of 18 patients (30.5%) had the first attack of ARF, whereas recurrences were noted in the remaining patients (69.5%). Conclusions: The study indicates that the typical manifestations of ARF under Jones criteria may not be present, especially in cases with recurrence. Hence, a presumptive or possible diagnosis of ARF can be made with presence of minor criteria or strong clinical suspicion in such cases.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed394    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded24    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal